NEWS RELEASE Contact: Chief Cynthia McAlister
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE email@example.com, 540-338-7422
UPCOMING PURCELLVILLE BIKE & SAFETY DAY
PURCELLVILLE, Va., May 4, 2023 — Come be a part of the Purcellville Bike and Safety Day on Sunday, May 21st from 12 to 4 p.m.! Activities will be held at the Purcellville Public Safety Center located at 500 N. Maple Ave. The Purcellville Bike and Safety Day is jointly hosted by the Purcellville Police Department, the Town of Purcellville Parks and Recreation, the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, the Purcellville Volunteer Fire Company, and the Purcellville Volunteer Rescue Squad. All events are free to attend, however if community members plan on participating in the Pedal Purcellville family fun ride and/or decorating contest, please see the link below to register online by May 12, 2023. The activities that are part of the event are described below.
Public Safety Day- 12–4:00 p.m.
- A celebration of both National Police Week and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Week with a fun day of exploration and learning.
- Activities include meet and greet with state, county, and local first responders; displays of police, fire, and rescue apparatus; demonstrations; activities; bouncy house; and treats for children. Lunch will be available for purchase from an onsite food truck.
- The following agencies are participating: Leesburg Police Department, Loudoun County Animal Services, Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office, Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, and the Virginia State Police with their Distracted Driving Program.
Bike Safety Rodeo- 12–4:00 p.m.
- The Bike Safety Rodeo helps children learn and practice bicycle safety skills.
- Activities include helmet fittings (free helmets will be given to those who do not have one), basic bicycle safety checks by Bike Loudoun, and an on-bicycle safety obstacle course.
- Upon completion of each safety station, each child will receive a “Bicycle License”.
Pedal Purcellville- 12:30 p.m.
- Pedal Purcellville is a family fun ride and bike decorating contest.
- Check in is at 12:30 p.m.
- Decorating contest will begin at 1:00 p.m. Prizes will be awarded for the top three winners.
- Family-fun ride will commence at 1:30 p.m. and will start at the Purcellville Safety Center back parking lot, turning left on North Maple Ave with a spin through Adam’s Bike Park then back to North Maple Ave., right at Shoppes on Main, right onto 23rd Street, right onto the W&OD Trail, then back to the Purcellville Safety Center parking lot.
- Participation in the Pedal Purcellville family fun ride and bicycle decorating contest require registration. To participate, please complete and submit the form at https://purcellvilleva.gov/FormCenter/Parks-and-Rec-Forms-2/2023-Pedal-Purcellville-Family-Fun-Ride--174 by May 12, 2023.
Parking for the Purcellville Bike & Safety Day will be in the open field across from the Purcellville Public Safety Center. Participants may also park at Loudoun Valley High School (340 North Maple Ave) and walk or ride their bikes to the Safety Center utilizing the paved pathway.
During the event, children can pick up an activities “passport” at the Purcellville Police Department booth, which includes a check-off list of events, as well as a fun, interactive scavenger hunt. All children who participate and turn in their completed passports to the Purcellville Police Department will receive a participation ribbon, and a free treat certificate from Chick Fil-A (while supplies last).
Thank you to all our sponsors who have donated prizes and gifts, and to Bike Loudoun for providing staffing for the bicycle safety checks. Our sponsors include Chick-fil-A and Hamilton Mercantile.
The Town of Purcellville, Virginia
“Purcellville-your small Town, where history and progress intersect and people prosper,” is an award-winning town of over 10,000 residents located in Loudoun County, approximately 50 miles west of Washington, DC. Having received the prestigious Siemens Sustainability Award for Small Communities, Purcellville continues to be honored for its green initiatives with most recently being the Tree City USA recipient for the 13th year. The Town was reaffirmed as a AAA rated community by S&P Global Ratings, the highest credit rating possible, and is ranked “Safest City” in Virginia in 2020. Once a stop along the W&OD rail line, which has been converted to a multi-use trail from Alexandria, VA to Purcellville, the Town has maintained its historic old-town feel through the restoration and maintenance of its many downtown structures, reflecting the Victorian architecture popular during the early 1900s. Today, Purcellville is the economic hub of western Loudoun County and a popular weekend destination for antiquing, equestrian activities, farmer’s markets, wineries, breweries, distilleries and restaurants. More info at www.purcellvilleva.gov.