PURCELLVILLE, Va. JULY 11, 2019 — As Town residents recognize, four commercial carriers providing cellular service to both residents and businesses, have been operating on a temporary tower adjacent to the water tower located on the west side of N. Maple Avenue. The temporary relocation has impacted traditional cellular coverage and cellular service.
The following outline provides an updated schedule for the completion of sandblasting, painting, structural repairs and reinstallation of permanent cellular equipment for the water tower. In addition, the outline provides an expedited schedule for the release of a Request for Proposals (RFP) to operate a new commercial cellular tower at the Town’s wastewater plant, which will increase cellular service levels to the southern portion of our town and provide additional bandwidth Town-wide.
Water Tower Rehabilitation and Reinstallation of Cellular Equipment:
- Sandblasting and painting of the water tower will begin the third week of July, 2019. Weather permitting, this process is estimated to be completed within six weeks.
- Following painting, structural repairs will commence following final design approval and should be completed during the month of October, 2019.
- The permanent cellular antennas and equipment will then be reattached to the tower and should be completed prior to November 15, 2019, weather permitting.
RFP for New Town Cellular Tower:
- RFP will be issued in September, 2019.
- Project proposals will be due in October, 2019.
- Evaluations of proposals and interviews of finalists will begin in November, 2019.
- Project award expected in December, 2019.