Great Purcellville Word Search
This year, Discover Purcellville’s community art project is called Words on a Fence. The Town, the Purcellville Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, the Purcellville Arts Council, and Discover Purcellville are jointly hosting a word search and story contest based on this community art project. Placed in different spots throughout Purcellville are 29 words on fences that have been painted by local artists. The Great Purcellville Word Search is part of the week-long, town-wide event called Celebrate Purcellville. There are two parts of this activity, described below.
The Celebrate Purcellville Passport included a Word Search page so as people walked through Town from October 4 – 10, they could look for the Words on a Fence and write down each word they find and its location in the passport. People are encouraged to take pictures of the words and post them on Facebook. This is not required to participate in the story contest.
Elementary, middle, and high school students are encouraged use the Words on a Fence words to write and submit a story for a chance to win prizes.
Criteria for Participation:
- The contest is open to all students from K – 12 that lives or attends school in Loudoun County, Virginia
- Elementary School students submit a story between 300 to 500 words using at least 5 of the Words on a Fence
- Middle School students write and submit a story between 500 and 750 words that use at least 10 of the Words on a Fence
- High School students write and submit a story between 750 to 1,000 words using all 29 of the Words on a Fence
- By participating in the contest and submitting a story, all Entrants agree they have reviewed and agree to abide by and follow the Rules of Participation and the Contest Terms and Conditions listed on the Great Purcellville Word Search Story Contest Application form.
- One winner will be selected for each school level (elementary, middle, and high school)
- Each winner will receive $50, donated by Longhouse Architects
- Originality/creativity -- up to 20 points
- Incorporating the minimum number of fence words for school level -- up to 20 points
- Meeting the word count for school level -- up to 20 points
- Proper use of grammar, spelling, etc. – up to 20 points
- Meeting all of the guidelines (typed, fence words underlined, etc.) – up to 20 points
How to Submit a Words on a Fence Story:
- Go to the Great Purcellville Word Search page of the Town website.
- Complete the online application and waiver
- Submit the story with the application
- Deadline for submissions is Sunday, October 31, 2021.
- Winners will be announced during Discover Purcellville’s auction of the Words on a Fence on November 13, 2021.
Submit Your Words on a Fence Story here:
Great Purcellville Word Search Story Contest