FY 2021 Budget
The Town’s fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30 of the following year. The budget, as adopted by the Town Council, is the guide of Town operations for the year, to include funding priorities. The budget development process begins in the fall and is refined over the winter, and the proposed budget is presented by the Town Manager to the Town Council in March. During the subsequent weeks and months, the Town Council will review the proposed budget, make amendments as desired, and adopt a budget prior to June 30. As part of each budget, the Town Council approves a set of taxes and fees to pay for operations throughout the year.
Special note about the impacts of COVID Pandemic on FY21 Budget Process
Given the extraordinary circumstances of the COVID-19 emergency, the Town Council gained consensus on the adoption of an Interim Emergency First Quarter Appropriation of $5.046 million on June 9, 2020 rather than the customary Annual Budget. This alleviated the need for many public meetings during the state of emergency. The goal was to minimize health risk and heavy staff workloads during this time of uncertainty. The budget for the balance of FY 2021 Second through Fourth Quarter (October 2020 through June 2021) will be revisited and approved prior to October 1, 2020 (beginning of second quarter).
GFOA Budget Award Submission
Click here to view the FY 2021 Annual Budget Plan - Presented as of June 9, 2020, Adoption of the 1Q Interim Emergency Appropriation
- May 12, 2020, 7:00 PM Public Hearing, Budget and Master Tax and Fee Schedule
- September 8, 2020, 7:00 PM Town Council – Public Hearing for FY21 2Q-4Q Budget
Budget Work Sessions and Meetings
The Town Council will hold a series of special meetings to deliberate the proposed budget. Documents, audio, and video recordings will be provided when available.
FY 2021 Council Decision Matrix
2019 Calendar Year:
- November 20, 2019, 7:00 PM Budget Work Session – Town Council Work Session – Stantec Utility Rate Study
- October 28, 2019, 7:00 PM Budget Work Session – Town Council Work Session – Stantec Utility Rate Study
- October 15, 2019, 7:00 PM Budget Work Session – Town Council Work Session – Stantec Utility Rate Study
2020 Calendar Year:
- March 18, 2020, 7:00 PM Budget Work Session – Town Manager Presents the Proposed FY21 Budget
- March 24, 2020, 7:00 PM Town Council Work Session-Public Hearing, Property Tax Rates
- April 8, 2020, 7:00 PM Budget Work Session
- April 14, 2020, 7:00 PM Town Council Work Session
- June 9, 2020, 7:00 PM Budget Work Session – Town Council Budget Adoption
- July 14, 2020, 7:00 PM Town Council– FY21 2Q-4Q Budget
- July 28, 2020, 7:00 PM Town Council Work Session– FY21 2Q-4Q Budget
- September 22, 2020, 7:00 PM Town Council Work Session – Town Council FY21 2Q-4Q Budget Adoption
- Agenda Packet (Upcoming Meeting)
The budget development calendar details the internal schedule of the various tasks that need to take place, on a monthly basis, in order to prepare and adopt the FY 2021 Budget consistent with the Code of Virginia.
Citizens can provide input to the Town Council in a number of ways:
• Email the Town Council at this link: Click here!
• Call the Town and leave comments for Council at: 540-338-7421
• Attend a Regular Council Meeting (usually the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month, check the Master Calendar) and speak during Citizen Comment Time
• Click this link to fill out a form to send your comments to Council. Click here!
• Visit the Town’s "Community Voice" portal and engage with fellow citizens on ways to improve the budget!