FY 2018 Budget
The Town's fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30 of the following year. The budget, as adopted by the Town Council, is the guide of Town operations for the year, to include funding priorities. The budget development process begins in the fall and is refined over the winter, and the proposed budget is presented by the Town Manager to the Town Council in March. During the subsequent weeks and months, the Town Council will review the proposed budget, make amendments as desired, and adopt a budget prior to June 30. As part of each budget, the Town Council approves a set of taxes and fees to pay for operations throughout the year.
Town Council Adopts FY 2018 Budget
At the May 23, 2017 Town Council Meeting, the Town Council adopted the FY 2018 Budget. Please click here to read a News Release on the adopted budget.
Click here to view the FY 2018 Adopted Budget.
The Proposed budget is below, and changes made to the proposed budget are available as part of the information from the May 23rd meeting. The Adopted budget will be posted when it is published.
LATEST INFORMATION - BUDGET PROCESS
On May 23, 2017, at 7:00 PM, the Town Council adopted the FY 2018 Budget, Appropriations Resolution, and Master Tax and Fee Schedule. The public was encouraged to attend and provide comment. Documents are available here.
On May 9, 2017, at 7:00 PM, the Purcellville Town Council held a public hearing on the Proposed Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 Budget, which funds operations for the Town government from July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018. Click here for the News Release about the Budget Public Hearing.
At the May 1, 2017 Budget Work Session, the Town Council reviewed the budget line-by-line to propose reductions and enhancements and to review requests made by each department. This effort, in addition to the non-binding “straw votes” taken during the meeting, has enabled the Town Council to pave the way to achieving many of its fiscal goals.
Click here for a spreadsheet showing the proposed changes by Town Council compared to the Town Manager's Proposed Budget. This document shows line-by-line expenditures and revenues for all Town Departments.
A link to the full Proposed Budget is below.
FY 2018 Proposed Budget Document
PROPOSED Fiscal Year 2018 Budget (9 MB)
News Release on Proposed FY 2018 Budget
Budget Work Sessions and Public Hearings
The Town Council will hold meetings on the budget on the following dates. Documents and audio recordings will be provided when available:
- March 22, 2017 Budget Work Session 7:00 PM
- March 30, 2017 Budget Work Session 7:00 PM
- April 4, 2017 Budget Work Session 7:00 PM
- April 11, 2017 - Town Council Meeting 7:00 PM
- Adoption of Tax Rates
- The Town Council adopted the Real Property Rate of $0.22/$100 assessed value, the Fireman's Field Service District Rate of $0.035/$100 assessed value, and Personal Property (vehicle) tax rate of $1.05/$100 assessed value. See this page for more information on taxes.
- April 19, 2017 Budget Work Session 7:00 PM
- Agenda for April 19th Budget Work Session
- Responses to Council's Budget Questions
- Supplemental Packet of Responses to Budget Questions
- Meeting Recording (if streaming audio does not work, right-click and choose to "Save Target As..." or "Save Link As..." to your computer)
- May 1, 2017 Budget Work Session 7:00 PM
- May 9, 2017
- Public Hearing on FY 2018 Proposed Budget
- Materials available at this link. Look for Items 7a and 7b
- May 17, 2017
- Budget Work Session
- Materials available at this link.
- May 23, 2017
Pre-Budget Work Sessions
- October 17, 2016 Meeting with Utility Rate Consultants
- November 16, 2016 Meeting with Financial Advisors
- January 18, 2017 Meeting on Capital Improvement Program
- February 22, 2017 Meeting on Financial Strategies for Debt and Utility Rates
Provide Input to the Town on the FY 2018 Budget
Citizens can provide input to the Town Council in a number of ways:
- Email the Town Council at this link: Send Email
- Call the Town and leave comments for Council at: 540-338-7421
- Attend a Regular Council Meeting (usually the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month, check the Master Calendar) and speak during Citizen Comment Time
- Click this link to fill out a form to send your comments to Council. Click here!
- Visit the Town's "Community Voice" portal and engage with fellow citizens on ways to improve the budget!
Fiscal Year 2017 Budget (July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017)
The Fiscal Year 2017 Adopted Budget can be found at this link.
The Fiscal Year 2017 Adopted Budget webpage (with meeting documents and recordings) can be found at this link.
Prior Year Adopted Budgets
Find the Town's adopted budgets dating back to Fiscal Year 2003-04 at this link.